Despite being on a pretty good run with posting last week, I’ve again fallen behind on my writing schedule. It’s been a little difficult to sit and concentrate on writing a full post. I’ve so many posts on the way but I just couldn’t concentrate on finishing any over the past few days. Instead of falling behind on my posting I decided to write about why I haven’t been able to be very productive the last few days – anxiety!
Anxiety has been an unwelcome companion over the past year or so. I believe anxiety kicked in because of my issues with my work life over the past few years. I wasn’t really enjoying my job and it bothered me that I wasn’t performing to my best ability. I am the kind of person who used to enjoy planning my entire life to the T. But I was just floating around the past few years which became a trigger for anxiety about my future and goals. Add to this I got assigned to really bad manager at work and I was a wreck. I finally decided to change career paths and left my job in the beginning of this year. It was so relieving and for a few months my unwanted companion (anxiety) let me be.
But with all the changes in the world (argh Coronavirus) as well as me moving cities and switching careers, I’ve felt anxiety slowly creep back in mainly in the form of fear of failure. Its the worst feeling ever when it creeps up on you just like an unwelcome guest from out of nowhere. If I’m glad of something it is that I’m dealing with this at a time when people are more receptive about mental health issues and getting help in India. For the longest time all mental health issues were hushed up and swept under the carpet in India. Its nice to see people opening their minds and being kind about such issues.
Here are some things I follow that help me calm my anxiety –
- Breathing exercises (you can google and find exercises that work for you/ask your therapist)
- Drinking a warm beverage (even if it’s just warm water)
- Watching an re-run episode of my favourite shows
- Talking a walk/working out
- Talking to a friend/loved one
- Writing down how I’m feeling
- Listening to music with my eyes closed
- Staying away from all social media
- Reading something light/short story
- Understanding what is triggering my anxiety and making a plan to handle the trigger
How do you handle your stress and anxiety? How are you doing these days? Hope wherever you are, you’re doing well! ♥️
Take care! XOXO!