An iceberg weighing hundreds of billions of tons is currently on the course to collide into a penguin island. The impact from one of the world’s largest icebergs could kill marine life from the ocean floor, crushing coral, plankton and sponges.
The Artic Circle recorded its highest ever temperature this year.
Global sea level is increasing as is ocean warming, ocean acidification and oxygen deoxygenation.
Increase in Floods, Droughts, Heatwaves and Wildfires across the globe.
Climate variability and extreme weather events are among the key drivers of the recent rise in global hunger and one of the leading causes of severe crises.
We’ve been passing the buck around for so long on climate change – leaving it to the (incompetent) governments around the world to find a solution for something that we all contribute to in so many ways everyday. According to some estimates we have just 7 years to take action on climate change before it becomes irreversible.
I get that working on a sustainable lifestyle takes some effort from finding the right products to cutting down on unnecessary things. It is the beginnings that are the toughest, so here are some easy suggestions for where you can start from-
- Form your own Climate Change Crew (CCC) – Find like minded friends, family members, colleagues and form a crew that motivates each other to be more sustainable. My sister, best friend and I have formed such a crew. Not only does it help with staying on course but it also gets more exciting and fun when you work with others. How can they help?
- They remind you to carry a reusable mug/shopping bag while heading to meet them for coffee/shopping
- Sharing items in your household that you’re bored with/regret buying but they might want
- Go shopping at thrift stores together
- Share new brands/products/methods that are sustainable with each other
- Help you put a stop to excessive shopping and fast fashion
- Setup reasonable goals/challenges as a group and help each stay on course
- Join a Green Movement – NOW! is having a Green December initiative for people across the world. The initiative is fairly simple – they set up a daily goal for anyone participating and you can share your stories with them on twitter and other social media. The daily goals are simple doable ones like not eating meat for a day or planting a tree or cleaning your mailbox. I know its half way through the month but you can still join the movement here. There are many other movements like this – join one whose goals match yours and start easy and simple so that you don’t get demotivated early on. If you like a challenge, ask your friends to join in to make it even more fun.
- Subscribe to a mailer from any green initiative – If the first two step seem very intimidating, just start with subscribing to a mailer from any green initiative and actually read the mails. These will definitely help in motivating you as well as give you ideas about how to go about changing your lifestyle.
With 2020 coming to close very soon, lets all make being more sustainable a goal for 2021. Start now, start somewhere, start slow but start! The expectation isn’t to be 100% sustainable – the goal is to find ways where you can easily be sustainable and make changes there. If we all become even 50% more sustainable than we are now – we can reverse some of the ill effects of climate change that our home planet is facing now.
Stay safe and sustainable!
PS: Not a fun post in the middle of all the Blogmas posts but here’s hoping it will make some change. Be the change you want to see? 🙂
If this blog motivated you, checkout my other blogs on sustainability –
Checkout my other recent blogs:
- Your Feelings Are Valid: Year-End Edition (Goodbye 2022)
- 25 Things I’ll Do In The Last 25 Days of 2022
- November 2022 – Month Review
- Soul Connections – Do Souls Recognise Each Other?
- Comforting Words For Anyone Dealing With Loss
Connect with me on IG: