Blogging even if it is just for fun is a FULL TIME JOB. My friends think of it is as a hobby, if only they knew the amount of effort that goes into prepping the posts and everything else that follows after. Last year with work from home and switching jobs, I had time at my hand and didn’t think that blogging was that time consuming. But now while drowning in work, I literally feel guilty every time I click on the tab with my blog (it is perpetually open on my laptop). So for everyone that thinks blogging is just a fun activity, boy, is it not and here’s why –
- The writing – it takes time to research, it takes diligence, multiple checks to make sure everything is ‘grammatically’ correct. Add to that the research that goes into finding the right topic to write about! And the right mood and energy needed to write – *sigh*.
- Perfecting your blog – once you’re a few months into the blogging game, you want to perfect your posts with pretty images & graphics as well as how the post looks and feels. This actually takes up a lot of time.
- Linking posts, other blogs, products, affiliate links – 50% of my posts have links to either someone else’s post or product links or YouTube videos etc. As insignificant as this might seem, it does take time to find the right links and to make sure you’re linking it correctly.
- Replying to comments – I have fallen SO behind on replying to comments. It takes a lot of time to reply to all the comments you get on your posts. This is the only way to make sure people are engaging with your blog constantly.
- Marketing you blog – Even though I do not market my blog (I AM LAZY!) – it can be very time consuming to market it on various social media platforms.
- SEO – optimizing your post to get maximum views – who said getting views was easy?
- Finding time for your blogging family – reading their posts, supporting them – the bigger the family, the more time consuming it is.
- Reaching out to brands to work with – if you’re just starting off, you definitely need to spend time to reach out to brands that you like to get an opportunity to work with them. You need to create a media kit and keep it up to date as well. And if you do land a deal, working with the brand to make sure they approve your content can be time consuming.
- Updating/upgrading your blog – as you grow, you spend more time playing around with the look & feel of your blog to make it more appealing to followers as well as make it optimized for people searching for content that you post about.
- Thinking about your blog – the sheer amount of time I just spend thinking about my blog is A LOT. Thinking of what new to write about, what different to do, etc. – is time consuming too.
For everyone that thinks this is just a hobby for the weekends, it isn’t – it takes a lot of time, energy and love to keep your blog going! It definitely is a break from our day to day work but it is work too.
Do you find it hard to manage your work/studies and blogging? Let me know in the comments below how you manage your time. ❤
Leave a comment below to join my blog-fam! ❤
Checkout my other recent posts here –
- Autumn Reads – September Reading List
- Self Doubting Adult Woes: 5 Thoughts I Regularly Have
- Does Garlic Work On Energy Vampires?
- Mental Health Update: How I Improved My Sleep Pattern
- What I Love And Hate About Blogging
Connect with me outside the blogsphere –