If you’re a regular reader, you know that I am quirky and I like it. I’ve recently joined the gym again (wow, it is almost going to be 2 months) and I’ve noticed that I have a few quirks in my gym routine. Here are some –
- I really don’t like it when someone starts working out on the machine right next to the one I am on. I usually pick odd hours to go to the gym to avoid it being too crowded because of this quirk. But I’ve noticed that some people like working out near people (isn’t that weird?). I usually go for the corner treadmill in the row of 10 treadmills in my gym. A couple of times despite all 9 other treadmills being unoccupied, someone has come and started working out on the one right next to me. I really don’t get why they’d do that, more so now when maintaining some social distancing is imperative.
- I don’t like people watching me while I’m working out. I don’t know if this is a quirk but I get super uncomfortable if someone is looking at me while I am jogging all sweaty or holding a plank and making the weirdest in-pain expression. If someone watches me while I’m walking on the treadmill – I start walking all weird like I’ve forgotten how to walk!!
- I like wearing baggy clothes while working out. While most people like wearing fitted clothes to the gym, on the contrary I really like wearing oversized, baggy clothes while working out – somehow feels more comfortable and breathable to me.
- I use up a lot of clothes that I don’t like wearing regularly by wearing it to the gym. As long as it is comfortable, I wear all the clothes I usually don’t end up wearing to the gym. Like my oversized denim jacket below . The jacket is 15 years old and I’ve probably worn it 10 times but it is such good quality that I don’t feel like giving it away. (I obviously don’t work out with the jacket on.)
- I like wearing quirky tees to the gym. I have this really cute tee that has a couple of yaks and it says yak-yak-yak (photo reference above you can see the yak peeping through). The number of weird looks I get when I wear this to the gym. I have a lot of fun tees that I wear to the gym instead of just regular gym clothes.
- I don’t like talking to anyone in the gym. I am introvert but I really really don’t like talking to anyone during my gym time. I hate when I’m huffing and puffing and a stranger wants to make small talk.
- I dislike getting unsolicited advice in the gym. If a trainer finds the need to correct my form or work out routine – I am totally okay with it. But I really find it annoying when a random person decides to tell me what work out to do because xx is my problem area.
I am a quirky person and there are just some things that I find plain annoying. What are some of your quirks around working out? Do you relate with any of mine?
If you haven’t already, check out my other recent posts –