I love travel and the whole reason this blog exists is that I wanted this blog to be chronicle of all my travels but it ended up becoming so much more. I travelled extensively pre-COVID both solo and with family and friends. But travel comes with its own set of anxiety causing issues for me. Here are 10 things about travel that stress me out so much –
- Airport security check – I NEVER have anything even remotely suspicious on me but boy does going through security check especially in a different country stress me out.
- Tipping people – Just the act of stopping a porter and handing him money – causes me so much anxiety. Do I tip him when he is at the door or when is done dropping off my luggage? Do I roll up the money or hand over an open note? What if I am tipping too much and thereafter will have to over tip all hotel staff? What if I am tipping too less and now he’ll talk behind my back with other hotel staff? What if I drop the money before I hand it over? AAAAAAAHHHH – THE STRESS!!!
- Travel anxiety – I have general travel anxiety. The night before a trip, I’ll spend tossing and turning – making up crazy situations in my head about what all could go wrong!
- Not finding ample public transport – I hate when my public transport options are limited. Though I love walking around new places, you do need good transport to get you around to see places further away from where you are living. Plus having a good transport system eases the tension if you are travelling solo. Depending on just cabs can get very stressful especially if you can’t get one at night.
- Using public washrooms/toilets – I don’t want to get into the details but public toilets FREAK me out. I avoid using them at all costs but what do you do when you have a 10 hour layover before a 8 hour long flight? *giving me the heebee-jeebees just thinking about it*
- Immigration/Visa Check – When you are about to enter a new country and they are scrutinizing your “third world country” passport and visa – ARGHHHH. (“What is your purpose of visiting XXXX?” “Uhm.. I have a tourist visa so maybe I am here to boost your economy with my hard earned money?“)
- Applying for a visa – The amount of documentation required to get a US/Schengen visa (haven’t applied for other “first world” country visas but I am sure it must be similar) – makes you almost feel like you’re a criminal and you might be rejected for the smallest documentation error. For my solo trip to Spain I had to submit like 200 documents confirming I worked with a top global bank and that they were ‘allowing’ me leave to go but I still had a home as well as a job in India that I would be returning to with enough bank balance. ARGH! (So unfair that a person with a “strong” passport with no home and no job can go just about anywhere.)
- Planning a trip for multiple people – This stresses me out so much especially when people are flying in from different cities and I need to figure that perfect time for everyone to reach together. Also, making sure there is something fun for everyone during the trip is just too much work for me. I love my solo travels so much.
- Flight/Train delays/cancellations – Especially when you have connecting flights – even a slight delay can cause so much of problems to your whole plan.
- Overnight bus journeys – I’m not young enough to enjoy overnight bus journeys anymore. I absolutely despise them – they are uncomfortable, I am unable to sleep and the washroom situation just makes it WORSE. Add to it a crying baby or someone eating some overtly smelling food or someone talking loudly on their phone all night and it is just not happening. I did an overnight bus journey with my entire family last year (pre-COVID) and I regret putting my parents through that torture. (I got late in booking train tickets 😥 )
What are some things that stress you out about travel? Do you relate to my list? Also December travel plans, anyone?
PS: I have mentioned “first world” and “third world” in quotes because boy, do we need to revise the definitions of these two terms.
PPS: Check out my other recent posts –