Every time I meet a girl friend for dinner and we each hop into a cab to head home, the last thing we say to each other is “text me once you reach home”. Most of the times, we text each other till we each don’t reach the safe bounds of our homes. As much as this tradition is endearing to me, it also always bothers me since I’d very rarely ask a male friend to text me to let me know he had reached home ‘safely’. I used to think that this was just a tradition that we girls followed in India but it seems like a fairly common practice followed across the world. So I came up with a list of things that I want to do but don’t only because of my gender.
Here is my list –
- Go for midnight walks/cycling, while listening to music and enjoying the quiet
- Go dancing with my girl friends and dance till the pub shuts and take a cab home without a second thought
- Travel solo around the world, to the remotest of places, in crowded buses and trains, and walk around at odd hours looking for spots to catch sunrise
- Go for a long hike all alone – be by myself in nature for a few days
- Wear whatever I want, wherever I want, whenever I want
- Talk nicely with the opposite gender without them thinking that I am flirting or ‘easy’
- Wear red lipstick and not attract attention
- Call out an office superior on their sexist remarks
- Be able to physically protect my fellow women and myself
- Be able to do more than just post an aghast post on social media every time a heinous crime is committed against a woman
- Be able to report all types of sexual misconduct and know that the laws are strong enough to get some justice
I know this is a bummer of a post in the middle of all the holiday posts but some things really need to change for women and soon – like 2022 soon! Here’s hoping. What are some things that you hope will change for your gender in 2022? I’d love to read some male perspective too!
Go check out my other recent posts since I’m doing a post daily till New Year –