When I was a teenager all I wanted to do was watch romantic films, read romantic novels, and dream about that knight in shining armor. I have become more practical in my quest for love with my dating experiences (read as: heartbreaks) but I still hope to find someone to be in a long-term relationship with. As I browse through hundreds of profiles on dating apps, the most common thing I find is ‘looking for something casual’. It feels like this whole generation has decided to move away from serious commitments to just in-the-moment fun relationships. What has led to this rise in casual relationships?
- Fear of commitment/heartbreak – A lot of millennials who are still single are ones that have already experienced serious relationships that didn’t work out. So now, they find that casual, no strings attached relationships work better.
- It is easy – No attachment, break it off without any messiness, and move on to the next option as soon as possible. Easy!
- Too many options – It is amazing how easy it is to meet people on dating apps, especially for an introvert like me who doesn’t step out of her comfort zone to talk to new people. But it has also led to there being just too many options. Usually, people end up chatting with 3-4 people at the same time, maybe even going on dates with more than 1 person at a time – so settling down on one option can often be a struggle. Casual relationships make moving on to the next person easier and less messy.
- Committed people looking for a side hang – There are so many committed people on dating apps looking for something casual on the side. I mentioned one such case in my worst dates post, where a guy told me he has a steady girlfriend (of 6-7 years) after a really great first date. I’ve heard stories from friends too. A guy recently told me about this experience – he was casually seeing a girl only to realize a few dates into it that she was getting married in a few weeks. (This post I read recently by a fellow blogger is also on the same lines.)
- Open relationships
- Divorce rates – I don’t know if it is something that is happening around the world but the divorce rates in India have gone up exponentially in the past 5 years. A lot of people use this as an excuse to avoid getting into a serious relationship.
- Being okay with being alone – Not everybody needs a relationship to feel fulfilled. A lot of people (including me) enjoy their alone time and something casual lets them enjoy the best of both worlds.
I am not judging anyone that is looking for a casual relationship, I am just surprised by how many people are opting for casual relationships these days. Have you ever been in something casual? Would you ever opt for it?
Checkout my other recent posts –