Christmas season is upon us and even though I do not celebrate Christmas, I really enjoy exchanging gifts. My love language is gifting! And while most of the time I like giving gifts to others, I also like to pamper myself from time to time. I’ve made a shopping bucket list as a 22 year old at my first job and hoped to get them all over the next decade. On top of that bucket list was buying a Louis Vuitton Bag. While Christmas seems like a great opportunity to spoil myself with this bucket list gift, here is why I won’t be –
- They haven’t gotten any new designs that I really like. Such repetitive designs and prints – almost seems like they’ve stopped trying to do something new.
- So many classic pieces have been duped and have been made into fakes. I’ve seen so many people carry them and it’s just taken the charm away from the classic LV bags.
- The number of influencers posting about buying an LV – it’s just taken the magic away from the dream. Argh!
And if you haven’t already gotten it, this first part was just a joke. Till a few years back, I was obsessed with high end brands and used to spend so much time reading labels on people’s bags/clothes to form a judgement of them, based on the value of their shoes and bags. I couldn’t wait to own my first pair of Jimmy Choo shoes. But I’m not that same person anymore. I mean, I’ll still judge someone carrying or wearing a fake just a little but for most of it, I don’t really care about being dolled up in branded wear.
I’ve been on a mission to find smaller home grown brands who make limited pieces of clothing/footwear/bags, mindfully, with earth friendly materials. So when I buy something I know it’s almost one of a kind. A few years back my wardrobe was a mini H&M since I was obsessed with that brand, and now I don’t resonate with most of their clothing (they do know how to make comfortable oversized plaid shirts). But even then, I’d end up having the same clothes as someone at work or a friend or my sister – nothing you buy from fast fashion brands is unique. Also, most high end brands and fast fashion brands are unethical, not cruelty free and cause irreparable damage to the environment.
So as you rush towards finishing Christmas shopping, please keep these in mind-
1. Shop from small, sustainable businesses
2. Shop from local, home grown businesses
3. Stay away from fast fashion, fast homeware brands
4. Regift gifts that you received but don’t use
5. Shop from second hand/thrift stores
6. Make gifts for your loved ones
What are you buying this Christmas season for your loved ones and yourself? Is your Christmas shopping done?
PS: argh, I forgot to schedule this post and so posting it late. 🙈
Checkout my other recent posts here –